Here are some tips to protect you and your family from contracting a foodborne disease from store-bought chicken.
1. Store chicken at 40*F or below. If you do not plan to use within two days, freeze it.
2. Make chicken your last purchase before checking out in the supermarket.
3. Thaw frozen chicken in the refrigerator. Keep it in its original packaging and on a plate when thawing.
4. Store any raw meat or poultry on the bottom shelf of the fridge so that if juices leak there will be no cross contamination.
5. Immediately wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw chicken.
6. Cook chicken to 165*F. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature.
7. Do not return cooked chicken to the plate that held raw chicken.
8. Refrigerate or freeze leftover chicken within two hours of cooking.