Cloth Diaper Survey: Prefolds

A wonderful thank you to our Bumkins blog readers for their timely and informative comments. We appreciate the information and use it to improve our Bumkins cloth diapering products.

EarthDay-Small-GraphicBumkins has just introduced our new line of 100% cotton prefold diapers and we would love to hear about all the creative ways you are folding and layering your prefolds to provide maximum diaper absorption.

1. Do you mix different sizes of prefolds?

2. What is your favorite size of prefold?

3. Do you use the smallest prefold as a burp cloth? Other uses?

4. Do you find a difference between the China prefolds and the Indian prefolds?

5. Do you have a favorite way to fold the diapers?

We will randomly choose one of our wonderful responders to receive a free 6 pack of our infant prefolds.

• Share/Bookmark

8 Comments

1. Justine McD. says:

Not sure if this is still a live thing, but owell lol

1. Do you mix different sizes of prefolds? I have some Infant and newborn(both almost too small) I use the newborns for doublers and the infants trifolded on her or sometimes and can get it to snappi but the infant ones are almost too small now

2. What is your favorite size of prefold? I love my infant size but I think I’d like premium sized better now

3. Do you use the smallest prefold as a burp cloth? Other uses? I use them as doublers :)

4. Do you find a difference between the China prefolds and the Indian prefolds? I dont know the difference, i’ve herd softness. I have Indian prefolds and organic cotton(from Canada lol)

5. Do you have a favorite way to fold the diapers? Trifolding is easier for my 12.5mo old daughter right now but I like the newspaper fold too

2. Cressa says:

I don’t mix sizes, I have infant, regular and premium sizes. My son has outgrown the infant size. At this point I don’t use the prefolds for anything else besides diapers. I might have tried using them as burp cloths, but my son wasn’t a big spitter. I had some of both of the indian and the chinese prefolds, but I couldn’t tell you which was which now. I use a newspaper fold with snappies. I tried a few others when he was younger, but the newspaper fold was the easiest and most of the others were supposedly better for girls anyways.

3. Mary M. says:

i haven’t tried prefolds yet, but i want to! I have two that I use as doublers, but I want to try using them as prefolds, just need a cover! :)

4. helenlam says:

I’d love to try more prefolds! Right now I only have 2 or 3 of the toddler size and we are using them as either an extra layer laid in or as a burp cloth. I believe these are just the Chinese prefolds.

5. zealandsmom says:

We do mix sizes.
    My favorite size is probably the infant.
    We don’t use as burp cloths, we use as inserts in our pocket diapers!
    I didn’t even know there was a China vs Indian. hmmm going to google now!
    Fav way to fold is the toddler insert for nighttime stuffing. We fold long end to long end (not all the way in half) the fold in thirds and stuff! Never a leak! NEVER!

6. Michelle says:

We only have some toddler prefolds and much prefer our AIOs and pocket diapers so we rarely use them for diapers. I do have many other uses for them though: extra absorbancy in pocket diapers, burp cloths, cleaning rags, wrapping fragile things in them for packing, a strainer/cheese cloth for puree, blankets for my daughter’s dolls, etc. I know I’ve used them for other things, but that is all I can think of off the top of my head! :)

7. Tami says:

1: Plan to used them for the 1st several month with new baby, so mainly infant, with a couple embellished bigger ones.
    2: Infant I belive.
    3: Have used the small prefolds as an insert in a pocket. We could of course use the prefold later to dust or polish the car.
    4: I only have indian right now.
    5: Only tried the newspaper fold?

8. Sarah J says:

PFs are our trusty stand-by!
    1. We have infant, small and toddler sizes. My son is a heavy wetter so I use the smaller sizes now for extra absorbency.
    2. I prefered using them more when he was younger than now (20 mos). It is the only style we had for the first 5 months of his life.
    3. When we are all finished cloth diapering, if the diapers hold up, I plan on keeping them as rags. :o )
    4. We only have Chinese DSQ prefolds.
    5. I didn’t do any fancy folds. When he was younger, I used pins most of the time as an extra precaution and to help contain infant poo. Now I just stick the cover on top & tucked everything in; unless we use them at night with a wool or fleece cover, then I still use pins.